|PicAxe Projects > PicAxe-20M Programmer/Proto Board|
PicAxe-20M Programmer/Protoboard Schematic -
March 11, 2011 - Here is the start of the project. The schematics are done. I used Diptrace as usual. Please note that I haven't built the circut or tested it yet. Your mileage may vary. I have pretty much everything I need to finish it up... well, time... need some time...
March 13, 2011 - I etched the board today. I used my new laminator, a Purple Cow 3015C that I purchased from Costco. I believe it was under $30. The feature that I liked about is that it has a 3mil and 5mil setting. I used the 5mil setting and ran the board through it several times, rotating the board each time.
Here are the boards that that I created. I used a bad drill bit for my first hole... (see the top picture pin 10) But I got the rest right. See them below.
March 15, 2011 - I noticed a couple of things missing... I had put in a power LED and resistor that somehow did not make it to the board from the schematic and I didn't do the usual serial connector on the board. Well, the serial connector was a design choice. I was trying to make the board smaller. So, instead I used a 3 pin header and a detachable cable with the 9 pin connector. I made the cable years ago for hooking to a breadboard, but still occasionally use it.
It has pins 2, 3 and 5 connected, in that order. The board connector came from an old mother board and the cable connector came from an old fan. Make sure you mark a pin number on one side. That way, if you forget, you will have a reminder. However when I put the connector on the board, I put it on backwards. I still got it connected and the board checked out. I did notice a few things. First, on a mini-breadboard, it almost covers the entire board. So, I am trying to slim it down some more. I am going to remove the outside breakout points since it is going to be plugged into a breadboard anyway. I may look at a way to get power from a breadboard as well. It is doable, just may take some tweeking...
March 19, 2011 - I reworked the schematic and board. The zips have been updated (to Version 4). I haven't populated the board yet, but it should work as advertised. I do need to test the fit for the bread board.. I am going to try and get it populated tomorrow... Here are the pictures:
March 20, 2011 - Well, I got it populated, but it still isn't tight enough. I am going to move the breadboard headers in, flush with the 20 pin socket. Other than that, it works as advertised. I am thinking if I can shave a bit more off of the sides, It will open up a row of pins on either side of the breadboard for break out. Anther option will be to have to long part of the pins pointing up, then attach wires to them... I think V4 will have the headers against the socket. Hopefully there will not be a V5.
I have the V4 board done and etched and it is just a hair over an inch wide. It fits! As a side note, if you are using the X2 chips, be sure to update your PicAxe programming software. The current version is 5.3.3. Get it here!