Computer Related > Lego® Thumb Drive Project

December 10, 2008: This is my first attempt at a thumb drive mod. I had just received a new 2GB thumb drive in the mail and thought it would be the perfect opportunity to mod one. I scrounged around and found some Legos®. So the total cost of the project is zero.

Parts: Lego® pieces (Check out their website). A 2GB thumb drive and some glue (any glue that works on plastic).

Tools: Dremel® (Check out their website) or any type of rotary tool, and various cutting and sanding bits.

Taking the drive apart wasn't too difficult. I used a box knife to pry the halves apart after removing the metal swiveling cover. I took the better part of the day to carve the Legos® out using the Dremel®. You need to go slowly because it is definitely easier to remove some plastic than put it back! It was a pretty simple mod...carve a bit, then test fit...carve a bit, then test fit... When finally fitting the drive into the Legos®, I used some really hot hot-melt glue and quickly seated it all the way in. Be sure to test fit everything at least twice. The pictures will tell the rest of the story.

Finished Thumbdrive

Finished Thumbdrive

Finished and in the box

Finished and in the box

Original boring drive

Original boring drive

Step 1 - Disassembly

Step 1 - Disassembly

Removing the guts

Removing the guts

Carving the Blocks

Carving the Blocks

Fitted - needs more trimming

Fitted - needs more trimming

Ready for the guts

Ready for the guts

Properly fitted drive

Properly fitted drive

Inside the cap

Inside the cap

Finished drive with top off

Finished drive with top off

Finished drive from bottom

Finished drive with top off

Ask a Question or Leave a Comment